Please note that this website is now for interest only as I retired from my consultancy work in January 2020.
Fire Safety Consultant, North London, UK
My job as an international fire consultant is to help clients (building owners, designers, developers, insurers and sometimes local authority building control authorities) achieve buildings that have the required level of safety for the occupants, the building and its contents.
After 20 years research and leading-edge consultancy at the Fire Research Station, part of the UK government’s Building Research Establishment, and then eighteen years working as an independent fire consultant in London, I give advice to building owners, developers, architects, engineers, insurers, building control officers, manufacturers, and building material producers on the following:
- Solution of design problems for buildings which do not satisfy prescriptive rules and regulations
- Fire Safety Engineering studies and calculations ( e.g. smoke control, radiation, fire resistance)
- Arbitration on building approval applications under the building regulations
- Assisting Building Control organisations in approving all aspects of complex FSE projects
- Conducting Fire Risk Assessments under the Regulatory Reform Order and related aspects of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations
- Expert advice on product development, passive fire precautions, safety strategies and use of sandwich panels in buildings
- Damage assessment (buildings and bridges) and recommendations on remedial measures
- Recommendations for remedial passive fire protection work
- Assessment of performance when product is used outside its tested limits
- Audits on the work of designers and fire safety engineers
- Undertaking lectures, and technical writing of fire publications and fire disaster summaries
As a well qualified and experienced fire consultant, I can make smoke control and flame heat transfer calculations and assessments of structural protection on projects large and small. I am at the leading edge of fire safety engineering practice in London as my listing of projects illustrates. I contribute to the education of students and fire safety professionals in London through my extensive publications and seminars.